Sunday, January 27, 2008

In remembrance

This afternoon I was looking at January's First Presidency message in the Ensign. It was an article entitled "The Master Build Bridger" written by President Monson. He spoke of how a bridge builder builds not for himself, but those who come after. Jesus Christ's atoning grace is the bridge and the only way for us to cross the chasm of sin and death and return to God, our Heavenly Father.

I looked at the photo of Thomas Monson and the thought passed my mind that he's going to be our next prophet, and I thought that President Hinckley's time would soon be over. I didn't give it much more thought, until tonight we found out that President Gordon B. Hinckley, our beloved prophet, had died at his home, surrounded by his family and loved ones. He was 97. News release

President Hinckley has made a profound impact for good for the church, it's members, and to an extent, the greater world at large. He has worked ceaselessly for good for so many years, working much harder than many men younger than he.

I have always revered him as a prophet of God, but I remember very vividly how I felt when he unveiled the plan for the Perpetual Education Fund. When I was a missionary in Chile, we went hiking up a mountain with a Chilean returned missionary on one of our free days. I remember him telling me how he went on a mission with many Americans, and how he worked hard, and even learned some English. But all of his American companions went home and had school and work opportunities, but we he went home he had nothing. He returned to his small town, and though he learned leadership skills, and worked hard on his mission there were no job prospects and no way of financing any education. I didn't know what to say to him.

After President Hinkley told of us this plan to finance education for young members of the church in developing countries via very low interest loans, I felt so joyful. This inspired man of God saw a real need and found a way to make it happen. I felt in my heart that this man truly is a prophet chosen of God.

Under President Hinckley's direction the number of temples in the church has gone from less than 50 to over 120. He also announced the building of the Conference Center and he raised the bar for the standards required for missionaries to serve. Also, his openness with the media was unprecedented. He was interviewed by Larry King, Mike Wallace, and Tom Brokaw.

But above all of the measurable things that he accomplished, I will remember him for the man of faith that he was. He was a true witness of Jesus Christ. I will remember his love for the Savior and his faith in Him. I will remember how much he loved his people and all people. I will remember how optimistic he was and how he saw the good in everyone.

I feel sad for the loss of this great man, because he made the world better, and we will miss him. But I do not feel sad for him. I know, as he knew, that he is now in a much better place. I'm sure he is having a wonderful reunion with his wife and his family and friends that had passed before him. He will be rejoicing and feeling immeasurable love, being reunited with Jesus Christ his Savior.

I loved our prophet, Gordon B. Hinkley, and as many, I will miss him dearly.

1 comment:

Kevin Ashton said...

I am just amazed he made it as long as he did. I think he'll receive a very nice mansion up in heaven.