Sunday, June 29, 2008

Blossoming even as we gaze

For years getting the kids ready for church on Sunday morning has been a big trial. We had to drag them out of bed, feed them, dress them, change their diapers, etc... It's still hard to get up early, but today all three of the older kids got themselves ready with no complaints. It made me think how much the kids are growing up. Lisette told us months ago that she was "too old for tucking in."

I'll try not to wax too sentimental, but I'm afraid these sweet children of mine are growing up way to fast. I guess that's a big incentive to 'live in the moment' and enjoy them right here and right now.

I remember once when I went hometeaching with my dad and for part of his lesson he talked about the song "Sunrise, Sunset" from "Fiddler On The Roof." I think his point was that your children grow up while you're not looking, so enjoy them and teach them while you still can.
(Tevye)
Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?

(Golde)
I don't remember growing older
When did they?

(Tevye)
When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he get to be so tall?

(Golde)
Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?
Speaking of Fiddler On The Roof, I remember seeing it several times growing up. My dad had the soundtrack on vinyl and I remember my dad really liking it. Which brings me to a funny story they tell about me when I was very young.

I was with my parents at the Weber State library and we were all listening to something different on headphones. I just happened to be listening to the soundtrack of what? You named it: Fiddler on the Roof. So we're all just listening to our own thing when my parents start to nice that a lot of other people in the library are looking over at us with big grins on their faces. Then they take off their headphones to hear me belting out, "If I were a rich man, yabba dabba, dabba doobie, dabba doo!"

3 comments:

Amy W said...

Okay, so maybe you can explain something to me...I saw Fiddler on the Roof once about ten years ago and the opening line I think is, "Life is like a fiddler on the roof." I was so annoyed with that statement because I didn't get it that I don't even remember what happened the rest of the play because I was so fixated on that one statement. I have never seen it again since and I don't plan to until someone can explain to me what the heck that means! Please help me get over this mental block.

Eric said...

I never really thought about it since I was so young when I first saw it. I think it means that life is precarious. I looked it up on wikipedia and it says: "The Fiddler is a metaphor for survival, through tradition and joyfulness, in a life of uncertainty and imbalance."

Melinda said...

Does it have anything to do with life being butter in our hands?