Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Shins at Red Butte

Miles and I spent Monday night at the Red Butte Garden amphitheater.

photo (7)

We’ve been both been fans of The Shins for years, so we were both pretty excited when we heard they were coming to town.

photo

There were two warm-up bands, Blind Pilot and The Head and the Heart.  They were both quite good.  Besides the standard guitar and keyboards, Blind Pilot played with a real double-bass, trumpet, mandolin, and a marimba.  You don’t see that too often.

photo (1)

The Shins took the stage right before dusk.  They played their older hit songs as well as tracks from their new record, Port of Morrow.


photo (2)

I tried taking movie clips from my iPhone, and was pleased to find they didn’t turn out too bad.


 



 


 
They were a very tight live band.  We enjoyed how they played different arrangements of some of their songs.

photo (3)

We were surprised how we were actually able to understand the lyrics better hearing them live. That’s not usually the case.

photo (8)

James Mercer, the lead singer, mentioned that he lived in Roy when he was eight and used to go eat at The Burger Bar. He said his sister from Roy met him and gave him a tour of Ogden, Roy and Salt Lake City.

The Salt Lake Tribune had a good review you can read here.




Miles and I had a great time. It was our first show since seeing Pixies in Milwaukee last year. We love listening to live music.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I love the shins! I wish that I would have known that you were going, I would have joined you. If you are planning on any other concerts this summer let me know, I would love to tag along. Glad you had a great time.

Hugs,
Carrie

Ruthie said...

Me too! Great band! Glad you got to see them...and the clips are great!