Friday, June 1, 2012

The Joy of Night Stock

I’m so happy and excited that my Evening Stocks are now in bloom!  It’s not even officially summer and they are already out in force.  These are one of my all time favorite flowers, and they bloom almost all summer.

IMG_9717

Several years ago I took a seed starting class at Red Butte Gardens. It was a lot of fun, but the best part was all the new flowers I was introduced to.  One of my favorites was a lovely annual called Stock or Matthiola.  It is a lovely flower and it has a wonderfully intoxicating scent, heady and sweet and never cloying.  I’m always disappointed when I can’t find Stocks in the garden stores.  That’s one of the best reasons to start seeds; to start plants that are hard to find.

In the Matthiola family there is a variety named Matthiola longipetala which blooms at night.  It is now one of my very favorites (yes, I have a lot of favorites but that is another topic).  I started these from seeds one year and planted them in a couple of spots.  Much to my delight these lovely annuals self-sowed with abandon and they come back every year without fail.  I keep a spot open for them in my annual garden where they grace it with their delicate white and lavender-pink blooms.  I also enjoy seeing how a few of them inevitably weave their way amongst the the perennials in my back flower border.

The thing I love most about them, though, is their lovely scent.  I love sitting in the backyard in the summer, when it starts to cool.  Every evening they put out new blossoms and fill the air with their sweet perfume.  Yesterday I could even smell them from the front yard.  I’m in the house writing now but I just opened the window and a cool breeze just brought their wonderful aroma inside.  I count them as one of the simple, joyful pleasures of life.

1 comment:

Ben Stuart said...

Beautiful flowers. One day I'll get into gardening. Probably around the same time that I get a house.