Friday, June 15, 2012

Beautiful Garden Thugs

In one of my favorite gardening books,The Undaunted Garden, Lauren Springer refers to Epilobium angustifolium, or fireweed, as a “beautiful rose-purple thug.”  Fireweed is known to be invasive, but I’ve put it in rather difficult little spot in the back, and so far it hasn’t proven too bad.  It is such a beautiful flower, and I have such great memories of seeing it all over in Yellowstone, Alaska, and in the Utah mountains.  My garden seems to be rather Darwinian anyway, so at least for now it stays. My mom even made jelly out of the flowers while my parents were still living in Alaska, and it was quite delicious. 

IMG_0007

Below is a picture of a type of pincushion flower named Knautia macedonica.  I have had to pull these out in massive clumps because their prodigious reproductive behavior.  These flowers would truly take over everything if I let them.  But they are so beautiful that I put up with prolific ways. The original ones I planted were the deep purple-magenta color, but they have also spawned some lovely pink-melon colored flowers as well.

IMG_0012

Here they are all together in my back yard, fighting it out for garden supremacy.

IMG_0038

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Your garden is so beautiful. If you ever run out of your own dirt to play in you can always come play in mine. I have lots of empty space that is yearning for some color.

Hugs,
Carrie

Ruthie said...

I love your yard. It makes me really happy to look at it. Wish I was there to smell it too.

Paula said...

Wow, I am so impressed. Now would you come do my yard please!!!!