Monday, June 25, 2012

Thai Cooking Class

Saturday I took a class on Thai Cooking at Orson Gygi's.  It was great fun!  There were about 12 of us in the test kitchen.  It had 5 professional stoves, granite countertops and about every kitchen gadget you could imagine.  Our instructor gave us a list of the recipes we were going to do and then went around and did a presentation on how to make them.  We then split up into small groups of 2 or 3 and started cooking.

My group made this shrimp salad with cilantro lime dressing.


These are the green curry puffs.  They were tasty (but isn't everything deep-fried tasty)?


This is the fresh basil beef.  The Thai basil in this dish is just wonderful. 


 For dessert we had coconut mango rice pudding.


We also had chicken satay with peanut sauce, but I forgot to take a picture.  After we were all done, we all sat down and ate our food together. Everyone was really friendly and it was satisfying to be in a group of strangers and create a temporary cohesive unit.

I did have a slight hesitation about eating the meat, but vegetarianism isn't my religion, so I ate it anyway, it seemed churlish not to.  Yes, it was delicious (especially the basil beef), but going veggie has been good for me, so I'll try not to defect to the dark side altogether.

Today I went to the the Southeast Asian Market on 9th South and got some supplies: Thai sticky rice, coconut milk, bean noodles, fish sauce, oyster sauce, green curry paste and massaman curry paste.  Melinda brought home some mangoes from Costco, so I think we'll have Thai sticky rice with mangoes tonight.  Yum.

No comments: