Sunday, February 22, 2009

I still like skiing

Yesterday I went skiing for the first time this season.  December was too cold and we were busy, then in January I was focused on going to Disneyland, so I didn’t go then either.   But since I’m the one who got Melinda into skiing, she wasn’t going to let me give it up.  We got up to Brighton around 4:30 or 5:00 and it wasn’t cold at all.  The day was beautiful and the snow was great.  I love skiing on nice packed powder.

I remembered to tighten my boots up a little more and I had great fun skiing down the mountain.  Going down the slope I was thinking how much I really like skiing.  I was really enjoying making turns and gliding down the mountain in the cool air. I was impressed watching Miles and Melinda zoom past me making some great turns.  It was so beautiful on the mountain with the all the snow and the green pines and the clean, clear air.

I regrettably cut our skiing day short by twisting my knee when I caught my ski on a bump.  On the bright side, I got a nice ride off the mountain on one of those cool ski toboggans.  Plus, I think I might have a lot of down time for the next couple of weeks, sitting here in bed with my knee brace and ice pack.

IMG00022

Here I am in the Brighton ski resort clinic on the gurney with my leg splinted.

Melinda said I did it just so I could get out of the talk I was supposed to give in church today.  She took my talk, made some notes, changed some stuff around, and added some other stuff, and gave it for me.  What a woman!  She has actually been so nice and patient with me.  I am a very lucky man to have her. 

Hanging around in bed isn’t so hot, but I still like skiing.

4 comments:

Lisette said...

Was the one run fun? Was it excrutionaly painful? Was it fun?

Amy W said...

Then I heard she left you alone and injured to go off on a wild goose chase to find an old obsession.

Eric said...

Lisette, yes, the one run was fabulous. Yes, it was excruciatingly painful. Yes, the toboggan run down was fun.

Eric said...

Amy, yes, all alone abandoned and forgotten. No one to shed a tear for my pains and sorrows. Boo, hoo, hoo.

Wild goose chases and obsessions... seems like a recurring theme...