Monday, February 25, 2008

Rebloom

Last winter we bought an amaryllis bulb as part of Ian's life science curriculum. It grew tall and bloomed right away. We've kept it on the kitchen window sill since then and watered it now and then.

I wasn't completely sure how to correctly care for amaryllis bulbs so we were very happily surprised when a little green shoot started popping out of the dry bulb a month ago, and quite pleased to see such a lovely bloom this month.

Having flowers in winter seems so hopeful. We have a little bit of iris reticulata and crocus foliage poking out of the ground right now, too. It feels like spring is around the corner and we've just about made it through winter.

Hmm... I better get my seeds started and a few more ski runs in before it's too late!

2 comments:

Melody said...

Cousin Trisha here-Could we possibly talk you and Melinda into growing vegetable starts for us along with yours-just kidding. I think we'll end up going the pre-grown nursery route this year since we've got 2 fruit trees and 75 strawberry plants to plant. Starts just seem overwhelming this year. (Actually, would you maybe be willing to trade for some strawberry plants?)

Eric said...

Actually I've been a total slacker this year and I haven't even started. I was going to start today, but I was tired and took a nap.

I think I'm still going to do tomatoes and broccoli and maybe a few flowers. What are you looking for? I can do some tomatoes for you.