Monday, May 12, 2008

Combating cynicism

Friday I went to the state Democratic party convention as a delegate for my precinct. The Salt Palace was packed with delegates, candidates in booths, political signs and various politicians and local celebrities.

It was really cool because I felt that my vote actually made a difference. Melinda doesn't share my political leanings, but I really like Obama and I find his positive outlook and focus very refreshing. It's such a contrast to the reactionary paranoia that seems so pervasive today.

I've felt so pessimistic about politics and the state of things generally. This has been a good exercise in not feeling helpless. It's nice to feel that my vote makes a difference and that I can make my voice heard.

1 comment:

RhubarbLady said...

A Hip Hip Hooray for those of us who participated in the process. I too posted about attending the Republican State Convention.

Our strawberries are doing great-we hope to do a trade next year since Melinda said your tomatoes weren't doing so well this year. (We don't want to take from your supplies if you're running low.) Lewis and Diana had their baby-and how about Amy and Mark's new home!