Saturday, May 3, 2008

Remembering Grandma

We were very sad to get the news yesterday that Melinda's grandmother had died at age 96. She went very peacefully, so we were happy that she wasn't in any pain.


We've felt very fortunate to be able to live nearby so that we could be close to her during the last years of her life. She loved to see the children, and we feel blessed that the kids were able to know her.


I was very small when my great grandmother passed away, but I do have some vague memories of her. I'm glad that Lisette, Miles, and Ian will have good memories of Grandma, and I hope Saffron will remember her too. Grandma was always so kind and loving to Saffy, and she was always happy to see her.

Today I was digging dandelions out of the lawn, it reminded when Grandma was digging them out of Marsha's lawn. It wasn't so many years ago that she would come and visit and just start cleaning up; she wasn't one for just sitting around.

We used to go up to Yellowstone almost every summer and we would stop and stay a night or two with Grandma in Rexburg. Even when we arrived really late she was waiting up for us and she always had something good for us to eat. She would feed us breakfast and she made sure that we had plenty to eat. She was very kind.

I also remember she would always bake lots of bratzlies (a thin crisp cinnamon cookie) and send them for us to eat.

We'll all miss her very much.

1 comment:

RhubarbLady said...

We were saddened to hear of Melinda and your grandmother's passing. This is another instance where I am so grateful to know that life continues on and we have the chance to be with loved ones again accordingly to how we live our lives here. Melinda's grandparents were always so kind to me and I loved staying with them when I was visiting Ricks (as it was formerly known).