Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tongan hymns

Tonight we walked across the street from Grandma's house over to the mortuary where they were having the viewing for Great Grandma Lena. The evening was warm, overcast and very peaceful. I held Saffron's hand and we could hear the bells chiming from the nearby Methodist church while we walked over.

Viewings always put me into a meditative mood. There is the sadness of loss, but also the happiness of being with family and those we love and the promise of Christ's redemption. And although Grandma Lena wasn't my grandma, but she is Melinda's grandma, and my children's great grandmother. We will all miss her and I will miss that my children won't be able to give her kisses anymore and she won't be there to tell them how beautiful they are and how much she loves them. But I'm so glad they could know her, and enjoy her for the last years of her life.

Their was a large group of Tongans seated in the back of the mortuary's chapel. They their green books and started to sing the hymns of Zion in their native tongue. It was beautiful. I was imagining how sublime those songs must have sounded on Tongatapu with the waves gently lapping the sand. Her missionary service with her husband and children in Tonga so many years ago haven't been forgotten.

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7
I must say I had a hard time keeping my cheeks dry every time they sang.

After the viewing we all went back to Grandma's house. I loved seeing my kids play with their cousins. There seemed to be a little trepidation when they first saw each other, but it quickly faded away and they played with an ease and joy that only cousins have.

It was a windy day and in the evening the power went out. People were snacking the kitchen and chatting in the living room in the dark with flashlights and lanterns. Lisette seemed to think the dark made it more memorable.

We stayed up late chatting and enjoying each others company. Grandma will be happy knowing that her death her gave the family a reason to come together and affirm our love for each other, for her, and most of all for Jesus Christ.

No comments: