Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Top 10 Reasons Why I Homeschool My Kids

by Melinda

10. Because it’s been a great way to make friends. This may be horrifying, but before I started homeschooling I hadn’t really made new friends for, oh, maybe ten years. But through homeschooling, in the last five years, I’ve made many friends. The kids have also been able to make some good homeschool friends.

9. Because I can. I’m very grateful that our country allows us this freedom. Our country isn’t perfect, but freedom to homeschool is indeed a nice benefit of living in the good old U.S. of A.

8. Because I am a nerd. Researching, planning and buying our homeschool curriculum makes me really happy.

7. Because homeschooling means that our schedule is flexible. When Grandma and Grandpa come to town, no problem. Plus we can take vacations any time of the year!

6. Because I love learning with the kids and homeschooling gives us lots of opportunities to learn as a family.

5. Because my kids can spend more time together. I hope all the time they spend playing Legos together will be one of their enduring memories.

3. Because I can spend more time with my kids. I read an article once where the author (Anna Quindlen?) said something to this effect: Being with your children isn’t all bliss. But it is about as far from dead as you can get.

2. Because I think homeschooling is the best educational option for these particular children right now.

1. Because homeschooling is what I really, really want to do, and life is too short for regrets.

4 comments:

Amy W said...

I hope that by making new friends some of us haven't dropped off the list of 88.

Melinda said...

Well, the good news for you, Amy, is that you are still on the list. And the other good news is that with much stretching, I have been able to expand the list from the original 80 slots to about 90. However, the bad news (in general) is that the list is still only 90 names long. So my current friends and family members better hope that I don't get TOO friendly.... There's always that little risk.... :)

RhubarbLady said...

Cousin Trisha: I haven't figured out when we can get together for more meals yet. I was hoping May but it looks like it will be later. We'll have to bring you something from dutch oven cooking. I'm thinking I'll be homeschooling more in the future.

Kevin Ashton said...

Mel you are making me think maybe I ought to home school my kid.Those reasons actually sound pretty fun. I guess I better find a wife first but just the same I like your 10 reasons.