Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Disneyland burned down!

Melinda was reading the kids a story in their bedroom tonight while I was working on my presentation. Just then it occurred to me that it was April Fools Day and I hadn't fooled anyone today!

So I worked up a tall tale really quick. I ran in their bedroom, and told them that their was a big fire at Disneyland! (trying desperately to keep a straight face and to sound distressed at the same time.) I told them there was an explosion in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and that it was spreading to the Haunted Mansion!

Lisette caught on first, but Melinda looked really concerned and upset. I think Ian went for it, but it didn't take Miles too long to tell it wasn't true. I think Lisette remembered what day it was, plus the kids all know the "Disneyland burned down" joke. It's from an old "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey:

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said. "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”

We actually saw a burned down building in the Anaheim area the last time we went to Disneyland. I tried that joke then, but they were pretty sure that Disneyland was much bigger. Sigh. Kids are so sophisticated these days; they're getting harder and harder to trick all the time.

No comments: