Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Garden proselytizing

Tonight a taught a class on Square Foot Gardening to a group of senior citizens. Only about 10 people came, but it was still a lot of fun. I always like it when I can spout off about gardening topics to a captive audience.


Square foot gardening is a great way to garden. It eliminates the grunt work and leaves you the fun part.


They have an plot of land behind their apartments, but it's really rocky and the soil looks poor. It would be a perfect candidate for square foot gardening, but I don't think they're going to go for it. I'm not sure if they have the energy or means to build the garden boxes, which is too bad, since gardening would be a lot easier and more fun if they could.


I have to admit I was pretty skeptical when I first attended a square foot garden presentation for the Master Gardeners. But I have since been converted; I have seen the light!


Square foot gardening is great! You don't have to weed, rototill, dig, or thin! You fill your garden box with 1 part peat moss, 1 part vermiculite and 1 part compost. The plants love it and it's so easy.
It's also really fun getting the kids involved. I made 4 boxes so the kids can have their own garden plot.

It's really cute watching them choose what plants they want and how excited they get when they harvest their crop. We'll all be planting soon!

2 comments:

RhubarbLady said...

This is just too funny! Catherine thinks its great that we're both talking about square foot gardening but I admit I wasn't trying to proselyte with my posts. Your garden looks wonderful for it being April, ha, ha, ha. Melinda still needs to teach me what to do with the lemon balm she gave me that is now taking over the middle part of our herb garden.

Eric said...

The pictures are actually from 2 years ago. Don't I wish it looked like that right now.

Yes, lemon balm will take over the world if you let it. It spreads like a runny nose in an elementary school.