Wednesday, October 10, 2007

All nighter

Monday night after our bonfire in the canyon, I connected to some servers at work to do some security updates. It went pretty well, but our Citrix remote gateway server didn't come back up after a reboot. Since it was already after midnight, I debated just going to bed and dealing with it in the morning, but I thought I better go in and check it out. It's good I did, because that server's fan died and it was running really hot and wouldn't boot.

I had to take the hard drive out and put it in a another machine. It still wouldn't boot, so I had to run the chkdsk utility. It still wouldn't boot. I ran the Windows 2000 repair and it still wouldn't boot. Finally I got the second drive which was mirrored to boot. Then I just had to rerun all the updates. I finally left at 6:30 AM.

I debated just staying there, but since I was wearing shorts, Crocs, and a Mickey Mouse t-shirt, I thought I'd better go home and at least change. I slept for an hour and half and came back to work. Thankfully everything was working. Nobody even noticed that anything had been down. Thats how you want it to be, even if nobody knows you sacrificed your sleep for them.

Tuesday I came home at about 2 and crashed. Melinda took the kids to their book club, but Ian stayed home and snuggled up in bed and napped with me. Ian is very loyal, he likes to be with me even when I'm boring, which is very flattering.

Working all day and night makes for a long day. I kept thinking it was Wednesday. I can't imagine having to be in a job that requires 60 or 80 hours weeks.

No comments: