Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ian shoots the moon

Miles wanted to play Pinochle tonight. Pinochle has been a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. I have lots of fond memories of my parents, uncles, and grandparents staying up late at night playing, talking, arguing and laughing. We always had loads of Pinochle marathons during our yearly vacation with our cousins at our condo in Island Park.

Miles and Lisette are carrying on the tradition. A couple of years ago while we were on vacation with family they learned how to play. Ian hadn't learned yet, but tonight he had a very auspicious debut.

I helped him with his first hand and was amazed as he shot the moon! (I did help him, a bit). For those non-Pinochle players if you get a hand that is so stupendous that you think you won't lose any points, you can wager the whole game on one hand. He actually had one loser card, but his partner saved it and they won. He then left and Melinda played 2 hands. He came back later and played another game. This time Melinda helped him and he had a lay-down shoot the moon, which is super colossal amazing! Even more incredible, was that he only got 2 cards from his partner.

I'd wager that there is a high probability of this family tradition continuing strong.

No comments: