Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Winwoes

Woe is Windows. Connie has Windows XP on her Dell laptop, and yesterday it died. Not the computer, but Windows. It kept coming up with an password error and it wouldn't even boot into safe mode. Microsoft's site said it was a corrupt registry and they had a fix for it, but since the passwords in the registry were corrupt, I couldn't even fix it using the repair console. I had to reinstall.

Today Windows Vista on my work computer died. I installed the latest version of iTunes, and then it wouldn't reboot. I tried the recovery console, but it couldn't repair it. I could have run the System Restore utility, but I had disabled it to improve performance. So I had to reinstall.

I once read that you spend 6 months of your life at stoplights. I don't even want to think how much time I've spent installing Windows. But I guess I can't complain, I suppose it's better than digging ditches, and everyone has to make a living off of something.

No comments: