Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Art Institute of Chicago

The highlight of my trip to Chicago was the Art Institute of Chicago. It was honestly quite amazing. I’ve saw most of the Smithsonian Museums, but I missed the fine art museum. This was the first real world-class art museum that I’ve been to.

It was really cool to these masterpieces in the flesh. I've see many of these pictures in books, but they are really much more impressive to see them in their original scope.



I loved to see all the details close up; the intensity of the color and the variety of textures. The Jackson Pollock and Roy Lichtenstein pieces were cool, but they were quite underwhelming compared to Saint George Killing the Dragon by Bernat Martorell. I was never impressed by that in books, but seeing it close up, I was amazed. It had gold highlights embossed and it was just plain magnificent.



It was impressive to see so many works by Monet, Picasso, Renoir, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Pollock, Cassat, Dali, and Rodin all in one place. My favorite, of course, was A Sunday on La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat.



But I must say that the is no way Ferris Bueller and his friends did so much in Chicago in one day. Let’s see, during the school day they crashed a fancy restaurant, went to a Cubs game, went to the Art Institute, saw a parade, drove home, hung out at the pool, and ran Cameron’s dad’s Ferrari in reverse all before his mom and dad got home from work. No way.



Today the kids got out their Masterpiece board game and we realized that all the art in that game is from this museum. Lisette is now very jealous and she told me I have to take her to a famous art museum.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ferris is totally cool. I've denied Mark everytime on that name for our baby. If we ever get a dog we'll have to use that name for the dog.

Your pictures are great. What kind of a camera do you have? However, I'm sure you are the reason for the good photographs and not the camera.

Eric said...

Amy,

Thanks for the kind comments! I was actually thinking how good your photos looked, and wondering what kind of camera you have. Digital Cameras are nice because even though I take a lot of lousy shots, I can just delete the bad ones and keep the good (without having to pay for prints of them all). We have a Kodak EasyShare Z740. I like it because it has a 10X zoom which is nice. It takes pretty good photos, but it doesn't have image stabilizing, so sometimes they turn out shaky. Also I don't like the lag for the focus and shoot. But I definitely became spoiled when I used Alonzo's camera for a week last year. It has multiple focus points and a big zoom and it takes the picture instantly. Very nice, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Eric