Thursday, August 16, 2007

Downtown dust

Ten minutes before I was supposed to go home from work tonight, I got a phone call (which usually means trouble.) Our downtown clinic was switching DSL and phone providers, and their install tech couldn’t get their network up. So at the last minute I got on the freeway and drove downtown.

I got the problem fixed fairly fast. The DSL router had the same network address as the internal wireless router. After I changed one of the network addresses it came right up. I took a little longer there because my former technician (who has since left) setup the router without any security. I wonder how many neighborhood people have been using their Internet for free? They will be sorely disappointed tomorrow morning.

So it was interesting being downtown today. Even though our mailing address says “Salt Lake City” we don’t actually live in the city. They have these 2 massive malls right by Temple Square that are being demolished. The Crossroads Mall is almost all rubble now, they just need to implode the Key Bank tower. Next they will tear down the ZCMI Center. The whole place is a massive destruction zone and they have these banners of Downtown Rising. It sure doesn't look like it's rising, it looks like it's being brought down to the dust. There are construction walls and rubble all over the place.

So since I was downtown already, I thought I should go to the Family History Library and finally get some ordinance cards printed out. I've had some ancestors flagged in PAF (Personal Ancestral File) to get their missing temple work done for a while now. So being downtown I decided that there's never been a better time than right now.

The library there is great, and the people are very helpful. They steered me in the right direction and I got exactly what I needed. It's exciting to get that step done and go on to the next; to go to the temple. It feels like I'm taking my ancestors names out of the dust.

No comments: