Thursday, August 23, 2007

Chicago style

Last night I had an authentic deep-dish Chicago-style pizza from Giordanos. It was quite tasty. It's basically a pizza which has the outside crust pulled up to form almost a bowl. Then it is cooked, then the cheeses and all the toppings get put in and then the sauce is on top. Then it is baked again. I got a small one, which was bigger than I expected. Please don't ask how much of it I ate, because I'm still feeling it out almost a day afterwards.

My conference has turned out really nice. Besides missing Melinda and the kids, it's been a good experience. I've learned a lot about our billing software, CareVoyant, and all the changes we will need to make for the new upgrade, and what the new options and features are. I've even been somewhat social, which is a big deal for me. It hasn't even been that painful.

In thirty minutes I will be boarding the shuttle bus that will take us to downtown Chicago for a dinner cruise. I've been looking forward to it. However, there are severe thunderstorm warnings, and flooding warnings right now. It's raining, and there has been quite a bit of lightning. The organizers said even if we can't get out on Lake Michigan, we should be able to at least go down the river and see some of downtown.

So my simple goals for this Chicago trip (besides the obvious educational ones at the conference) were to try Chicago pizza, see downtown, and see the Art Institute of Chicago. I've got one down, and I'll have the rest done by tomorrow afternoon. Now I get to add one more; to see the Windy City windy (and wet).

No comments: