Friday, August 3, 2007

No pain, no gain

I haven't been bothered too bad by Ankylosing Spondyliltis (AS) for quite some time now. Sometimes I almost forget that I have it. I take Naprosyn (Aleve) daily and it seems to work well for me. But sometimes AS rears its ugly head and makes sure I don't forget that he's there. If I don't move too much it's just a dull ache, but if I have to bend over it's quite painful to straighten back up again. It makes me cringe every time I have to pick something off the floor.

Isn't there some saying about not being a man if you can't put your own pants on? Well, I hate to say it, but Melinda helped me put my pants on today. I could have done it, but she offered and I didn't say no. Pretty pathetic.

I'm using hot packs, cold packs, Ben Gay, and I'm taking Ultram as well. The Ultram usually dulls the pain enough to make it through the day, but I don't sleep as well when I take it. It doesn't make me loopy, but occasionally I do have trouble keeping my eyes focused on something if I'm not actively engaged.

But as far as living with dread diseases, I think I'll keep this one; I've got it pretty much figured out. I can live with this. I don't have high blood pressure, diabetes, or bi-polar disorder. Paul wasn't ever healed from his thorn in his side and I'm certainly not better than him. I also take solace knowing that in this fallen world, Jesus understands my pain perfectly (not just physical pain but everything). Here's one of my favorite scriptures about that:

(Book of Mormon | Alma 7:11 - 12)

11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

What more than can you say than that?

No comments: