Saturday, August 18, 2007

Down with weeds

Ahh, the wonders of laptops and wireless Internet! I can sit out on the back lawn enjoying the cool breeze and enjoy the hummingbirds and bees flitting around the flowers and post entries on my blog! Right now I'm enjoying the views of Purple Coneflowers (Echineacea purpurea), Blanket Flower (Gaillardia grandifloria), Globe Thistle (Echinops ritro), Hummingbird mint (Agastache cana), Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia fulgida), and other miscellaneous blooms.

I feel somewhat better after getting some weeds out the ground tonight. It seems like every August the little devils creep in and before you know it you have a full-fledged invasion on hand. July has been so hot this year that I haven't wanted to get out into the garden much. But luckily today I got some recruits.

Ian last week decided he was dropping out of swimming. (He must have gotten the idea from his cousin.) Melinda told him that he would have to pay her back the $25 swimming fee and he said that was just fine. I wonder if his being dunked on the tube at Bear Lake had anything to do with it? So he will be mowing lawns and weeding for me for a couple of months. Miles wants to continue skateboard lessons, so he will be weeding for me too. We decided that $2 a for a 5 gallon bucket of weeds was pretty fair.

So Ian and Miles both filled up a file gallon bucket full of weeds. I filled two and a half. Just 20-30 more to go!

No comments: