Monday, August 20, 2007

Off to China for James

Friday night I had some of my siblings over at my place. We were having a little get-together for my brother James. He's the baby of the family. He's actually 14 years younger than I am, but only 13 years older than my oldest daughter. We're always glad to have him visit; he's great with the kids and really pleasant to be around. He's been going to school in Anchorage so we don't get to see him too often. He's taking a little break from school right now to teach English in China. It should be a really good experience for him. He'll get to visit Hong Kong for a few days before he gets to the mainland. He'll have room and board at the school and they will teach him a little Mandarin. He plans on having time to visit the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, and the Terracotta Warriors. It should be very educational and a good experience for him.


It was fun to have my siblings over. I haven't seen Joy for a little while. Her hair has grown out longer and it looks good on her. Also, she brought over her new dog, Olive. She is an adorable young bulldog. She was so much fun to play with, and Ian loved walking around the yard with her. I think it made Melinda kind of nervous though. She wanted me to take a shower to wash off all of the "dog germs" after Olive kissed me. Just imagine Lucy from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" right after Snoopy kissed her, and that would be Melinda. But Olive was just so cute and so fun! She has this loose skin that's so fun to rub, and she is just so solidly built that she's fun to squeeze!

Connie made it over after her Harry Potter book group at Barnes and Noble. She's been really busy at getting book events going over there, and she does a really good job at it.

Clair came over earlier with little Makenna. It seems like school has been keeping him very busy. But you can tell he loves his little baby. He makes a great dad.

Carrie shared tragic pet stories with us. I didn't realize that when little Peaches (the dog) died that James didn't know about until a week later when he asked mom, "Where is Peaches? I have been looking for him all week and I can't find him."


Michel was over with most of her kids. She is starting to teach school this fall so she has been busy getting her classroom ready. The cousins had fun playing together and James enjoyed seeing his nieces and nephews before he had to go.

On Saturday I took James out to do a few errands and then Carrie picked him up in the afternoon so they could hang out and then she was going to drop him off in the airport.

Saturday I also swept up dog hair off the kitchen floor. Still, it would be fun to have a dog to play around with. Melinda is going to be really nervous when she reads this.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

I love your blog Eric! It's so good to see recent pics of everyone (Olive is adorable...I've been begging Joy for a picture).

The one thing I miss most about being so far away, are the little family get-togethers! It's great to hear that everyone still manages to connect every so often.

James called home to AK just this past Monday. I answered the phone and was so suprised to hear his voice. He sounded great, and it was a treat to be able to chat with him. What a great experience for him to be there!

Darius and I are having a great time in Cordova. We've been out to the glacier with Mom and Dad and saw some good calving. Darius has been fishing everyday and absolutely loving it (he says hello)!

I've throughly enjoyed reading all of your entries from the past few weeks! Keep blogging!!

Love you!

Eric said...

Thanks for leaving comments! Olive was so much fun, very friendly and she never even barked. It’s was really nice to have so many siblings over.

I hope you’re having a good time in Alaska. It’s kind of a bummer being sick on vacation, but by the sound of it, Darius has died and gone to fish heaven! (Say hi to him for me). Oh, yeah, sorry about not having sent the fishing reels; I’m going to try to get them into the mail this week.

That’s cool you got to talk to James; I bet he’s having a good time (and a very educational one at that). Say hi to everyone up there for me!