Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The quick and the dead

Melinda has officially given up her Quicken duties. When we were first married I took care of the finances since I had used Quicken previously on my old Mac Classic. However, she took over the money matters fairly soon, within a year or less. I did the taxes until about 3 years ago, but she has assumed that responsibility as well. (Personally, I think she didn't trust me or something.)

I must say, it has been a pretty nice arrangement. Melinda takes care of the finances and all of the health insurance stuff. She's been great about staying on top of things, which means I have less to worry about. However, recently our company switched health insurance providers again, and she got overwhelmed with the new system. Not to mention that homeschooling the kids takes a lot of time, and it's all to easy to get behind. Melinda had been feeling kind of tired of it all. Then the final straw was when I wiped out all of our data off the hard drive. We were without our PC for several days, and then I installed the latest version of Quicken (which looks quite different).

So looks like I've got Quicken duties again. But now I've got our bank and credit card accounts to download into the program automatically. Now there is less data input (hooray!) and lots of cool graphs and reports I can make. I think the new technology will keep me interested.

However, Melinda should probably be worried. It has a "cash flow" center that shows your balances. I think I may turn into a super tight-fisted miserly scrooge until I get the balance where I want it. Woo hoo ha ha ha ha!!! [evil laugh] She also now knows that I know how much she really spends for homeschool materials. THAT is truly scary.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Okay, I really have to comment on this one. First of all, I have been doing the taxes for WAY longer than 3 years. I remember doing all the tax stuff when we bought our house, and that was 8 years ago!

Also, it's not that the new health insurance overwhelmed me. It's a fine system. Better than some that we've had. (Like the one that didn't pay the bills for Ian's birth until Ian was a year old!)It's just that my brain doesn't work anymore when I look at it all. I just shut down. Maybe you could call it burn out.

And as for how much I spend on homeschool supplies, well, it's not THAT bad. Though I admit the last two years have been a bit more expensive than before. But then we do have three school-aged children now. You didn't expect me to homeschool for free did you? :)