Saturday, August 25, 2007

Chicago

Friday I took the train into downtown Chicago. The weather was looking better, and I wanted a chance to see a few of the sites. I had been on the outskirts of Chicago a long time ago, but I never made it into the city. The train was efficient and clean, although it was a bit noisy inside. The night before the train was speeding past all of the traffic, but today the traffic was speeding by the train. However, I think I still saved time because as soon as we got into the city the traffic was pretty thick (and parking was tricky). I was going to transfer from the train (this was the blue line coming from O'Hare) to the El, but it was confusing so I just walked.


It's amazing to see so many tall buildings stacked so close together. It was overcast, but I imagine those building still throw mighty long shadows. It was an urban canyon. Salt Lake has very wide streets downtown, but Chicago's are probably a 1/3 as wide. It was very vibrant and busy, but somehow it seemed friendlier and less overbearing than New York City. I passed the picturesque Chicago Theatre on the way.



Millennium Park was really cool. They had lovely gardens and lots of interesting outdoor art. My favorite part was this giant mirrored "bean" (Cloud Gate.) It was really cool to look at the skyline reflected behind you. There was a street performer on stilts playing popular music with his ukulele and a melodious falsetto.

I took the opportunity to snap a self portrait on the underside of the bean.



The Crown Fountain was really fun. There were lots of kids playing around in it; you could tell they just loved it. Though, I have to admit, the picture of it does look quite bizarre.


I really liked Michigan Ave, "The Magnificent Mile." It was the last street of skyscrapers before the park and the lake. I liked the contrast of the intricately detailed old buildings and the sleek modern new ones.

I liked Chicago. It didn't see too much of it, of course, and I haven't had the experience of living there and having to commute to the city, but I liked it. It was a very unique, interesting, and beautiful city. Frank Lloyd Wright said, "Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." I don't know if that's true, but if it's not, it's not too far off.

No comments: