Friday, August 31, 2007

I Heart ClearPlay

The exercise bike is downstairs in front of the TV (which is not hooked up to a TV signal, but that's another story) so I can watch movies while I exercise. I usually check out movies from the library, which is great because they're free. Usually one or two of the kids come to watch with me.

I used to get kind of nervous when the kids were watching. A lot of PG movies are not very kid-safe. I used to put the subtitles on so I could try to mute or fast forward any language. I would sometimes get edited movies from CleanFlicks, but they went out of business, and they were expensive.

However, last Christmas my father-in-law gave us a ClearPlay DVD player and a one year subscription to filters. It's great; I can watch PG-13 or R rated movies and not worry about the kids watching. You do have to be careful of the subject matter, of course, but a lot of movies are perfectly acceptable with the filters.

My favorite movie now is I Heart Huckabees (which I actually got first from CleanFlicks). I find it totally hilarious, probably because I can relate to it so well; existential angst about saving the environment, dictatorships, the meaning of the universe, etc... I would have totally missed this great film without ClearPlay. How many modern films can tackle subjects like existentialism, nihilism, absurdism, and transcendentalism (that's a lot of 'isms) and still be so funny? Not to mention it's sooo quotable.

Who can forget such gems as:
"Nobody sits like this rock sits. You rock, rock. The rock just sits and is. You show us how to just sit here and that's what we need."

"Have you ever transcended space and time? "
"Yes. No. Uh, time, not space... No, I don't know what you're talking about."

"When you get the blanket thing, you can relax, because everything you could ever want or be, you already have and are."

"If the forms of this world die, which is more real, the me that dies or the me that's infinite? Can I trust my habitual mind, or do I need to learn to look beneath those things?"

"There's glass between us. You can't deal with my infinite nature can you?"
"That is so not true. Wait, what does that even mean?"

"What are you doing tomorrow? "
"I was thinking about chaining myself to a bulldozer. Do you want to come?"
"What time?"
"Mm, one, one-thirty."
"Sounds good. Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do."

No comments: