Monday, August 20, 2007

Tomatoes au natural

These tomatoes are sweet, but not as sweet as Saffron! Saffron is our adorable diapered darling. She loves to run around au natural outside and to pick the sweet tomatoes. Her favorites are the Juliets, which are about two inches long and very sweet; just right to plop into your mouth. We like them better than cherry tomatoes now. They last longer before getting mushy and they are firm and fleshy.


So here are this years tomatos; from left to right, Sub-Arctic Plenty, Copia, Pink Brandywine, Lemon Boy, Great White, and Juliet (in the front.) I planted some Purple Cherokee, but they haven't ripened yet. I got most of these seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I got the Lemon Boy from a friend and the Juliet seeds from Twilley's seeds.

So I'm getting a lot better at growing tomatoes, and I'm getting to like them better, too. When I was a kid I detested tomatoes. When I was in my 20's I started liking them OK, as long as they weren't plain. Now I can appreciate the subtle sweetness of the tomato, and it's own distinct brand of flavorful acidic juice. Not to mention how sublime they taste chopped up with white onions, jalapeno peppers, and with a twist of lime and a garnish of cilantro. Ahhh. Now that is the taste of summer.

No comments: